Thursday, April 5, 2007

North Carolina Coast

Fort Fisher Historic Site. This is the location of the Confederate Fort that protected blockade runners from the Federal Navy. Fort Fisher was the last stronghold on the Atlantic coast for the Confederacy during the American Civil War. It finally fell after a prolonged naval bombardment, followed by a battle between soldiers. Many brave men fell during this engagement.
We had some great meals at the Waffle House in Wilmington. Here I am pictured with a new friend. She was just wonderful and made sure my milk was cold. (It was nice that they let bears in the restaurant!)
Here I am at the entrance to the Carolina Beach State Park. The burnt ground and trees behind me are part of the Park's department planned management to assist future forest growth. By reducing the vegetation on the ground, seedlings have a better chance of survival. Plus fuel for forest fires is removed. This makes sense to me and I bet Smokey Bear would say so too!

No comments: